Bollyversary

(Is it just me, or is one of the fun things about Bollywood that you can stick "Bolly" on the front of lots of other words?)

Best I can tell, I watched my first Bollywood movie on February 18, 2005. I usually write in my calendar all of the fun things I do, but this one doesn't appear as such. But I remember the people I watched it with, and there's a record of doing something with them, so we'll go with that day. And appropriately enough, my local art theater is showing Rang De Basanti that weekend! (Although I have already have a ticket for the 19th. Previous commitments, etc.) But I will definitely mark the day in a grand fashion, including watching one of my favorites - or, if I can find it at the well-stocked but poorly organized Indian grocery store, Seeta aur Geeta, because surely nothing says "Bollywood rocks" like Hema hitting people with a ping pong paddle. Or so I am told.

Anyway, by popular demand (hee hee: "popular"), I accept Obi Wan's challenge and will learn and sing a Hindi song for the occasion. I don't know if I have the technical capacity to post a sound clip, so you may have to trust me that I will sing it. But how 'bout I let you vote for which song I'll attempt! Post your thoughts in the comments. Publicly. No email requests.

And if I can figure out a way to post my performance, you cannot make fun of my pronunciation. Everything I know about Hindi comes from movies. I have never, to my knowledge, actually in person heard someone speak Hindi. (I'm sure I actually have, as millions of people speak it. But I wasn't aware of it if I did. And I'm trying to cut back on eavesdropping.)

Please select one of the following songs for me to learn and perform for my Bollyversary on February 18.
1. "Kajra Re" from Bunty aur Babli
2. "Chale Jaise Hawayein" from Main Hoon Na
3. "Maahi Ve" from Kal Ho Naa Ho
4. "Woh Ladki Hai Kahan" from Dil Chahta Hai
5. and, becuase I am completely nuts for the "clap clap clap" bit, "Taal se Taal" from Taal

Okay, that's it. And because I am from Illinois, I bid you vote early and vote often. Polls close noon my time on Tuesday, February 14.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Happy Bollyversary!

Will there also be dancing involved? If so, I vote for "Kajra Re." If you will simply be singing (and clap-clap-clapping), I vote for "Taal se Taal."

I know it's not on your list, but I've always wanted to hear someone sing a translated English version of "Nimbooda."

It's! So! Small! But so tangy and juicy!
SOUR LEMON!

That's probably just me, though.
I know not this "Nimbooda"! But I want to! What's it from?

I am a really bad dancer, but I will admit to having tried to dance along to many songs, including "Kajra Re" becuase it is both funny and sexy, a deadly combo if ever there were one. Apart from lack of talent, the major impediment to dancing is that I have to read the lyrics off of a piece of paper, meaning I can't watch the screen to copy the moves - and usually I have to hold the piece of paper, thus disabling one arm. But I try.
Anonymous said…
"Nimbooda" is from Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam. It's the song right after Ash has some stupid fight with Salman (I think because she drew some picture of him where he looks like a cow, but I don't really remember.) So she dances around and sings about wanting a sour lemon (maybe because Salman is being a sour lemon?), while Ajay Devgan skulks behind some pillars. Or something. It didn't really make a whole lot of sense to me.
OMG. I own that movie and I know what you're talking about. I mean, I don't know, but I recognize.

[pause to look up lyrics and think very hard about them]

According to the translation on Bollywhat, it does make a little sense, I think. Sour lemons keep away the evil eye of the lover. So maybe Ajay is wishing he had a lemon to get rid of Salman? (Huh. So Martha was right: a little lemon can clean up many of life's messes.)

Plus one taste of it makes you radiant. Sign me up!
Obi Wan said…
Before Kajrare became the rage of this mad nation, I used to love that song. But I have rarely seen such overkill of any song as this one in the last 6-8 months or so! But out of your list, I will still vote for Kajrare, if only because it talks about my hometown!
Beth, I love Kajra re (and it's been blaring out from every loudspeaker I pass: a thorough overkill, I agree, Obi Wan.) but I would love to hear you sing "Chale Jaise Hawayein" from Main Hoon Na because of its melody.
Anonymous said…
Not on Blogger, so have to comment as Anon; I'm on Bollywhat as Bitterlemons....

Just wanted to say, Congratulations on reaching the all-important first anniversary!

My choice of song: Maahi Ve...it's easy! Shahrukh and Saif's moves in particular...

Regards,

Bitterlemons.
Hi Bitterlemons -
Thanks for voting! I can't promise I'd find Maahi Ve easy to dance to - but that's okay, as I'm focusing on the vocals for now - and if I have to stick to a career as a singer only, that'll be just dandy by me.
Anonymous said…
i can help you with the Taal dance ... i did a dance for it in my high school culture show

great to see you embracing bollywood ...

:-)
Update: I have received a write-in vote for Woh Ladki Hai Kahan.
So what is the final tally?

Popular Posts