Khan-nundrum

In praise of all things Dharmendra-related (IPATDR?) has tagged me to list my four favorite Khans. This is not only a good warm-up for tomorrow's birthday celebration for SRK, but also a question that many Bollywood fan has no doubt pondered to herself, rising naturally as it does from the ubiquity of Khans.

Here are all the Khans I can think of off the top of my head (and have seen in at least one movie):
Aamir
Shahrukh
Saif Ali
Salman
Zayed
Fardeen
Amjad
Kader

But you know what? I'm going to start my list at number four with Farah Khan. The world would be a much more drab and boring place without the incomparable awesomeness of Ms. Khan. I love her. I love her for Main Hoon Na alone; but then there's Paheli's puppet dance and Koi Mil Gaya's ode to "Singin' in the Rain" and Asoka's steaminess and Kal Ho Naa Ho's "Maahi Ve" and Dil Chahta Hai and Monsoon Wedding and...and.... You get the drift. She's fantastic. I don't know anything about dance, but I do know how gleefully I go hurtling from the sofa to the cleared spot in my living room to dance along with her work.

It's a three-way tie for number one. I love Saif, Shahrukh, and Aamir, if not equally, then equitably. None of them could be swapped for another, and that's what makes them so great. Aamir has that freaky powerful stare (and the extended hand, with its force field of "do not f*&% with me" rage) and is just so very convincing all the time. Sharukh is...well, we know what he is, and I'll say more about that tomorrow. He's got more on-screen charisma than any other actor I can think of; for me, to know him is to love him, whether or not I really want to. Saif brings nuance and believability and a general sense of realness to roles that many other people would do as throw-away. Examples include that line in DCH when he introduces Pooja to her own parents and how my heart broke for him in KHNH even though he started off as a womanizing corporate lameo.

I won't choose. I khannot.

And that's it for puns for today. Promise.

I tag Kamla, Obi Wan, and Totally Basmatic.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Very very nice Beth. And yeah, Farah does rock.
Maja said…
I'm loving the puns :D Great list!
Anonymous said…
Sorry Beth that I did not respond to your tagging. I was running around interviewing a bunch of filmi people in New York who are here for the IAAC film festival.

Thanks so much for tagging though :-)

Kamla
Anonymous said…
Irfan Khan?! Kompletely kewl!

Popular Posts